Friday, April 21, 2006

Hello McFly...

Do you ever notice that certain people stop listening as soon as anything computer related enters into a conversation?

I choose my words carefully when explaining IT related information to people at our company. My goal is to explain technical material so that it makes sense to a non geek. Most people appreciate that, but a select few seem to be stuck in this weird anti-computer vortex. As soon as I mention anything, their eyes start to glaze over and I know I am losing them.

Sometimes I wonder what is going on in their mind. Are they thinking, "She is such a geek, I have no idea what she is saying." Or maybe it is more like, "I wonder what I should cook for dinner." On the other hand maybe their simple little brain hasn't gotten that far at all. The current thought could be, "Ooooh, look at those lavender Post-It notes. Wow, this is a special place to work."

If you were to consider how things logically progress, then perhaps it might be, "I don't have to listen to this now. I'll just ignore what she is saying and call later to ask for help on every single item she just explained to me." ---Not like that happens on a regular basis.

I know technical stuff can be scary to someone who is not the most computer savvy, but at least open your mind and give us a chance to teach. We don't ask you hard code you ip address or edit your registry. We're explaining how to change your password and login to the office from home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home